Employment Application Forms
It is permissible for student-athletes to work during the academic year and vacation periods (including summer). There is no limit on the amount of money a student-athlete may earn.
Student-athletes who are working may be paid only for work actually performed and at a rate comparable with the going rate in the locale for the type of work performed. A student-athlete's compensation may not include any remuneration for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that he has obtained because of athletics ability. Student-athletes may not receive any special discounts or services from their employers, unless they are provided to all employees. Student-athletes may not receive transportation to and from work, health benefits, vacation/sick time, bonuses, etc., unless the same benefits are available to all employees.
Student-athletes planning to work during the academic year and/or vacation periods should notify the Compliance Office in advance, as paperwork must be completed by the student-athlete and the employer before employment may begin. The employer and student-athlete will make available for review and inspection, by an authorized representative at the NCAA, or applicable Conference of the University, copies of all documents, earnings statements and other records related to the employment.
Student-athletes should keep records of all employment (e.g., time sheets, pay stubs) as the Compliance Office may request such documentation to ensure compliance with NCAA and institutional rules.
Private Lessons (fee-for-lesson instruction) Bylaw 188.8.131.52
The NCAA permits student-athletes to be paid for providing lessons in the sport in which they compete.
To receive compensation for giving private lessons (teaching or coaching sport skills or techniques in your sport), you must meet ALL of the following:
- ► Institutional facilities may NOT be used
- ► Playing lessons are not permitted
- ► The Athletics Department must receive documentation of the lessons and fee provided BEFORE the lessons occur (employment forms must be filled out)
- ► Compensation must be paid by the lesson's recipient, not another individual or entity
- ► A student-athlete may NOT use his/her name, picture, or appearance to promote or advertise the availability of private lessons
- ► Lessons are designed to be individual in nature; may include more than one recipient at any one time but the instruction provided to each individual must be comparable to the instruction that would be provided during a private lesson.
Important points to remember:
- ► You are to immediately report to the Compliance Office the offer or receipt of any benefits not made regularly available to other employees performing similar work in the same locale including, but not limited to, transportation, loans and advances.
- ► A violation of this policy may result in the loss of your eligibility for competition, the loss of your athletics grant, and your sport being precluded from participation in the national championship.