Washington State University Athletics Department
It is the mission of the Athletics Department to create and foster an environment which provides exceptional opportunities for all student-athletes to enrich their collegiate experience through championship performance on athletics teams which commit to national leadership, excellence and the highest moral standards. Consistent with the mission and values of Washington State University, the department is dedicated to enhancing the intellectual, physical, social, moral and cultural development of the whole person, while conducting all activities with honesty and integrity in accordance with the principles of good sportsmanship and ethical conduct. The Athletics Department values diversity, including gender and ethnicity, and is committed to providing equitable opportunities for all students and staff. The department pursues its mission while upholding the values, purposes and policies of Washington State University, the Pac-12 Conference, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association. We will strive for a strong financial and community base of support by presenting outstanding intercollegiate athletic teams which provide quality experiences and a positive identity for the University.
In pursuit of its mission, the WSU Athletics Department strives to:
- ► Conduct all activities with the health, education and welfare of all student-athletes as the highest priority.
- ► Conduct a program that is an integral part of the academic program, with the student-athlete as an active participant in the student body.
- ► Enhance the culture of opportunity for diversity, providing equitable opportunities for all students and staff.
- ► Enhance and build upon the traditions of leadership, individual and team achievements, pride and loyalty and commitment to 'give back' to the community.
- ► Maintain a clear line of demarcation between college athletics and professional sports.
- ► Recruit athletically talented students who are capable, prepared and motivated to succeed academically.
- ► Provide staff, resources and facilities to support programs that are competitive in the Pacific 12 Conference and the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
- ► Maintain financially viable and fiscally responsible programs.
- ► Foster a sense of community among students, faculty, alumni, staff and the larger community.
- ► Provide a viable student development program that guides and assists student-athletes in defining and developing their academic potential, career vision and preparation, sense of responsibility toward community service and personal values and skills.
- ► Establish and uphold standards of conduct for staff and students that are consistent with the development of strong moral character, responsible behavior and mutual respect.
The mission and goals of the WSU Athletics Department will be reviewed and evaluated annually by the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, athletics staff, Athletic Council, the University Executive Committee and the Athletics Foundation Board.
Reapproved by the Athletic Council on January 13, 2012.