Don't have an account? Click Here

2007 Entries
2006 Entries
2005 Entries
2004 Entries


November 6, 2007

This weekend we traveled to the Bay area to play against two ranked opponents. We had a good week of practice, including a fun October 31 with some Halloween festivities, including: costumes, trick-or-treating and pranks!

Thursday night at the Oakland airport we were greeted by two Cougar alums who gave us crimson flowers and good luck!

At 3:30 Friday we faced the California Bears. We got off to a great start, taking a 1-0 lead when Brooke Bemis volleyed the ball into the upper left corner in the beginning minutes of the game. A few minutes later, the Bears tied the game 1-1. We made a few adjustments throughout the game; however, Cal came at us hard and scored in the 72nd minute to solidify its win. The loss was disappointing; however we had to turn our focus to our next opponent in the top-ranked Stanford Cardinal.

Saturday we walked to a local park and played ultimate Frisbee and had a rejuvenation practice. We then had the afternoon to spend with our family. After dinner at the Macaroni Grill we had positional meetings to go over some key points for the game against Stanford.

Sunday was a day filled with many possible distractions in that it was being nationally televised and it was Stanford's senior day. We came out firing and scored first. The goal was one of the best of the season with Brooke Bemis playing an amazing through ball to Kiersten Dallstream who finished first time to beat the keeper. We kept up the high pressure, however, with 10 minutes left in the half we gave up a sloppy goal, sending us into the half tied at one a piece. We kept up the great play in the second half, creating a few scoring opportunities. We remained tied at the end of regulation and went into overtime. Six minutes in, Stanford scored the game winner.

Although we lost we felt it was one of the best played games of the season. It was a definite confidence booster heading into this weekend, playing two of the top teams in the nation.


- Anna and Allison


October 30, 2007

We started off the weekend with a team dinner at the Fireside Thursday night. It was a great meal, as always, and helped in our preparation for the Oregon Ducks the next day.

After a week of practice at home, we were ready to take on the Ducks. Just like every Pacific-10 game, this was no different in that it provided a physical, hard-fought match, with some great soccer. In the 20th minute of play, there was a scramble in front of our net and the Ducks put the ball away giving them a 1-0 lead. At halftime we made some adjustments and came out strong in the second half putting the Oregon defense under a lot of pressure. The tying goal came in the 85th minute when senior Brooke Bemis scored off of a Mallory Fox corner kick. After two 10 minute sudden death overtimes, the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

Saturday we had a morning practice to rejuvenate and prepare for our next opponent, the Oregon State Beavers.

Before the game Sunday, we met for our team breakfast. The game started off with the momentum in our hands, as we played some great soccer and created many opportunities. However, Oregon State struck first and scored in the 22nd minute of play. We kept the momentum and scored 24 seconds later. Brooke Bemis scored off of a header from a Carly Dobratz cross. The game remained tied as we continued to create chances. It wasn't until the 81st minute when Kiersten Dallstream was taken down in the box and was given a penalty kick. Allison Scurich converted the PK, giving the COUGS a 2-1 lead, which they held onto for the win.

Overall, coming away from this weekend with two positive results helps us get closer to our season goals and gives us momentum heading into the next weekend in the bay area.


- Anna and Allison


October 22, 2007

This weekend we headed across the state to take on our rivals, the University of Washington. We packed into the bus around 12:00 on Thursday afternoon and entertained ourselves with movies, homework and food for the five-hour bus ride to Seattle. We arrived at the hotel and fought off gusting winds while carrying our bags into the hotel. After checking in, we headed to the Outback Steakhouse for a good meal. After dinner we had positional meetings to prepare ourselves for the game ahead.

We woke up the next morning to find the weather had not improved. Our practice in the morning on UW's campus was conducted through wind, rain and hail. After practice, we headed to the grocery store and Great Harvest Bread Co. for some delicious pre-game grub.

Our game was at 7:30 p.m., after the UW men's game. We were all very excited to play a night game in front of a lot of our family and friends! The game started out hard, with UW having a few chances at goal early in the game. As the half wore on, we gained confidence and Allison Scurich scored off of a corner kick with about 10 minutes to go in the first half. The game was very intense and rough which we expected with this special rivalry. Our play improved in the second half and forward Kiersten Dallstream found the net in the 65th minute to make the score 2-0. The Huskies fought hard and ended up scoring a goal 10 minutes later. We were determined to stay ahead and our keeper, Brynn Bemis, made some great saves to keep the final score 2-1.

The win was a positive result for us on the road and against a very strong UW team. We now look forward to two home games against the Ducks and Beavers.


- Allison and Anna


October 16, 2007

We headed down to Arizona for the first weekend of Pacific-10 play. When we landed in Phoenix we were treated to Ashley Johnson's family restaurant. It was great Italian food! We then headed about two hours east to Tucson to take on the Wildcats.

The Friday night game against the University of Arizona was a big game for us as we wanted to start the Pac-10 season on a positive note. The atmosphere was awesome in that it was a night game, playing under the lights and there was a very big Cougar cheering section! We took an early 1-0 lead when senior Brooke Bemis scored her sixth goal of the season in the 19th minute. The game continued to be a battle and remained the same score until Kiersten Dallstream scored in the 57th minute, putting us up 2-0. However, the Wildcats responded immediately and scored just seconds after we went up 2-0. Dallstream put the game out of reach in the 67th minute, scoring her second goal of the match. The game ended in a 3-1 victory for the Cougs!

Saturday we drove back to Phoenix and had a rejuvenation practice at Arizona State University. We then had the afternoon to spend with family. Then as a team we headed to dinner at the Macaroni Grill. The coaches had a special surprise for us, and they took us all to the Phoenix Suns game.

We then focused our attention toward the Sun Devils. The game was very intense, but it remained scoreless through regulation. In overtime the Sun Devils scored off of a free kick in the fifth minute of extra time. Although we were not happy with the result, we now have to regroup and prepare this week for the Huskies!


- Anna and Allison


October 8, 2007

It was homecoming weekend, alumni were in town, and we headed eight miles down the road to Moscow, Idaho to take on the Vandals. This was our last pre-season game and we wanted to go into the Pac-10 on a high note.

The game started out well for us, with Brooke Bemis scoring two goals in the first 20 minutes of the game. This gave us great confidence and we continued to pressure Idaho. At halftime, the score was 3-0 in our favor thanks to forward Kiersten Dallstream. We came out strong in the second half and kept Idaho scoreless throughout the game. Because of our great team pressure we secured another goal late in the second half to make the final score 4-0. We were all very happy with the result and we finish our non-conference schedule at 7-1-2.

We start out Pac-10 play this weekend in Arizona. We are all excited for the second half of the season to begin and are looking to continue with two positive results against the Wildcats and Sun Devils!

Go Cougs!

- Allison and Anna


October 4, 2007

The weekend started off well with a great team dinner at the Fireside Grille Thursday night. This helped us all to prepare for the game against the Gauchos on Friday afternoon. Despite the freezing cold and rainy weather, we were able to catch UCSB off guard scoring three goals in the second half. We were very pleased with our second half play and felt good about the result. We went away from the game with three great goals and kept a clean sheet on the defensive side.

Saturday we had some fun playing a soccer tennis tournament for most of the practice! This helped us both rejuvenate and relax to be prepared for Sunday's game against the Idaho State Bengals.

Sunday morning we all met for team breakfast and started to put more attention on our upcoming opponent. We were hoping to keep the momentum from Friday's game, however, it didn't go exactly as planned. Unfortunately, we gave up a free kick in our defending half and the Bengals converted to take a 1-0 lead in the first half. In the second half our play improved, and we created a lot more chances on goal. Kiersten Dallstream ran onto a great through pass and pushed it past the keeper to tie the game. The game remained scoreless for the rest of regulation and overtime. We were disappointed with the result because of the scoring opportunities we created throughout overtime.

We now turn our attention to our rival just eight miles down the road: Idaho.


- Allison and Anna


September 25, 2007

This weekend we took off to Las Vegas to test our luck against two tough opponents. UNLV was our first match-up on Friday. The Rebels have been a consistently strong team, winning the Mountain West Title the last three seasons. The game started off slowly with each team reacting to the other. Unfortunately, UNLV was the first to take advantage, capitalizing on a 1-on-1 opportunity to put it ahead 1-0. After UNLV scored we picked up our play; however, it was just too little too late. The game ended 1-0 and was our first loss of the season.

Since our game was early, we went out to dinner at California Pizza Kitchen and then had some free time to explore the fabulous city of Las Vegas. Unfortunately during our free time, there was a torrential downpour and ended our night early.

Saturday we had practice in the morning and then the afternoon to spend with family. Before dinner we watched our Cougar football team take on USC. Next, we turned our attention to our next opponent, Nevada.

Our rivalry with Nevada runs deep with it holding a 2-0 record against us in the past two seasons. We wanted to prove ourselves in this game to leave a good impression at the UNLV tournament. Our play was better this game with more team movement and communication. In the second half of play, Kiersten Dallstream worked her way through the Nevada defenders. She was taken out by the last defender and was awarded a PK. Mallory Fox stepped up to hit the game winner in the 65th minute. We held our lead for the rest of the game and left with a good win.

We are excited for our upcoming games at Cougarland!!


- Anna and Allison


September 18, 2007

After a short week of practice, we headed for South Bend, Indiana. We left Thursday morning at 7 a.m. and we all took naps on the bus to Spokane. We had a full day of flights ahead of us and another bus ride to the Saint Mary's Inn on the Notre Dame campus. On the way to the hotel we stopped at Applebee's for dinner and celebrated Ashley Johnson's 18th birthday with a bunch of balloons and a sundae!! We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 Indiana time and all headed straight to bed.

Friday morning we got to sleep in until 9:00 which was a real treat! After breakfast we went to the Notre Dame practice fields to loosen up before our game. We went to lunch at Panera Bread company which was delicious! We had a few hours of down time and then headed to the field around 4:00 for our 5:00 game against Oklahoma State. The game started off with a bang for the Cougs, with Mallory Fox scoring two minutes after kickoff. From there on out it was a battle all across the field, but we held onto our 1-0 lead to beat the number 16th ranked Cowgirls.

On Saturday, we started the day out with a rejuvenation session at the fields and then were given free time to spend with family. After a team study hall we were treated to the Outback Steakhouse for a good pre-game meal.

Our game on Sunday was a unique one. Facing Princeton was the first meeting of our teams in program history. We wanted to leave a lasting impression. The first half remained scoreless, with both teams working hard to break the other down. Two minutes into the second half, Princeton took the lead with a shot from the top of the 18 yard box. We picked up the pace and our own Kiersten Dallstream tied the game twenty minutes later.

Although the chances kept coming, we were not able to gain the lead. Princeton had a chance to finish the game with a penalty kick but Brynn Bemis came up with a huge save to boost our spirits heading into overtime. Thirty-one seconds into the second overtime Kiersten Dallstream came through with the game winning goal: a rocket shot from outside the 18 yard box. We were all ecstatic!! This sent us back to Pullman with two great victories and winners of the Inn at Saint Mary's Classic!

Go Cougs!

- Allison and Anna


September 11, 2007

On Friday we headed 75 miles down the road to play our in-state rival, Gonzaga. The weather was great and the stage was set for a tough battle. The game kicked off and the Cougs took an early lead when senior defender, Allison Scurich hit a free kick from the top of the box. In the second half, the Zags tied up the game. The game remained tied at the end of regulation, resulting in sudden death overtime. We came out strong in the first 10 minute overtime, however the score remained tied. With a minute thirty left in the second 10 minute overtime, senior midfielder Anna Miller served in a beautiful corner kick and senior Brooke Bemis was on the other side of it heading it in for a Cougar victory! We were all ecstatic that all our hard work throughout the game ended in a positive result. After the game we were treated to dinner at a great Italian restaurant and then made our way back to Pullman.

After a rejuvenation practice on Saturday we turned our attention to our upcoming opponent, Utah. The Utes have always been a tough game for us, last year we lost in double overtime at their place. We felt like it would be a great home opener and an opportunity to get a positive result while defending Cougarland! We didn't start the game as expected, we let in an early goal. However, after the wakeup call we improved our play by keeping possession and dominating the rest of the half. The second half was a whirlwind with 5 goals being scored. This resulted in a 3-3 tie at the end of regulation. Once again, we went into double overtime, however this game we did not come out with the victory. The game ended in a 3-3 tie. Overall we felt we had a good spirit about ourselves but missed an opportunity to get a win at home.

We are looking forward to a good, but short week of practice as we leave for Notre Dame Thursday morning. We are excited to play teams outside of our region as this will help us see how we match up with the rest of the country.


- Anna and Allison


September 6, 2007

After going our separate ways over the summer, we all arrived in Pullman the first of August and trained together until the 23rd. Luckily, the coaches had scheduled an exhibition game against Idaho on the 24th which was a nice way to see all our hard work pay off in a game setting. The game went well with us beating Idaho 4-0. Brooke Bemis, our senior forward scored twice, with sophomore Kiersten Dallstream and freshman Emma Stolz also adding to the score. The game was a nice way to get our jitters out before the real season started.

After a long stretch of pre-season and practices we were all more than ready to start our road to the tournment! This past weekend we traveled to Montana to take on the Lady Griz. We piled on the bus Thursday afternoon and watched movies for the whole five hour ride. We went out to dinner at a great local italian place and started preparing for Friday's game. Montana has always been a tough game for us, so we knew we needed to be focused going into it.

The game started out well for us. We had a lot of the possession in the beginning of the game and got a lot of shots off. However, despite our play, Montana was the first to score in the beginning of the second half. From that, a spark came from our team and we answered about ten minutes later with a goal from sophomore Mallory Fox. Shortly following, forward Brooke Bemis capitalized on an opportunity making the score 2-1. The game was a battle but we showed our maturity by keeping our lead and continuing in our style of play. We ended the game with a 2-1 victory!

We were happy with our overall performace in the game and are looking to build on it going into this next weekend against the Zags and Utah!

- Allison and Anna


October 25, 2006

We spent the week preparing for the Northern California teams full of excitement and opportunity. Prior to this weekend, our team was the last unbeaten team in the league and we were ranked third with two wins and a tie. Fridays match was against the Stanford Cardinal who were just below us in the Pac-10 standings, so both teams had a lot riding on the outcome of the game. Like every opponent in the Pac-10, Stanford brought their A-game to Pullman and barely edged us out in a tight game resulting in a 1-0 loss for us. Though we were disappointed with our first loss of conference play and first game not resulting in a shutout, we still had a lot to play for in our Sunday game against California

Sunday afternoon came with absolutely gorgeous weather perfect for a soccer game. California came into Pullman on cloud nine with a staggering 4-1 win over the Huskies. The match kicked off and proceeded to become a back and forth due. Finally, late in the first half Allison Scurich fired a bullet indirect shot from 47 yards out and scored our first goal of the game. This was Allison's second goal of the season and career. As California kicked off after the goal, Sasha Baines stole the ball passed to Kim Bonnes who dribbled and juked past most of the California defense. Right in front of the 18 yard box, Kim sent a superb pass to Kiersten Dallstream who scored our second goal within just 19 seconds of our first goal. The game ended 2-0 in our favor with some excellent performances from many of our teammates. We are now concentrating on the Southern California teams and looking forward to the positive opportunities in front of us.

-Angela Fajardo

Washington State Cougars Cougar Athletic Fund