Oct. 11, 2008
Washington State Individual Notes
- Redshirt freshman B.J. Guerra made his first career start today against the Beavers...Guerra is the 23rd player to register his collegiate start for the Cougars this season...Guerra is also the 20th different underclassman to start a game for WSU in 2008...WSU has now used five different offensive lines in seven games.
- Senior defensive end Mike Graise made his first start of the season and the third start of his career today against the Beavers...including Graise and Guerra, WSU has now had 43 different players start a game this season...Graise's last start came against Idaho in 2007.
- Freshman linebacker Louis Bland's 16 yard interception return for a touchdown in the second quarter was the first by a Cougar since Husain Abdullah returned a pick for a touchdown against Stanford in 2007...the interception was the first of Bland's career.
- Redshirt junior safety Xavier Hicks intercepted two Beaver passes...the last Cougar to pick off two passes in a game was Husain Abdullah against California in 2005...sophomore linebacker Myron Beck's second quarter interception was the first of his career...WSU's four interceptions were the most by a Cougar team since intercepting four passes against Idaho in 2007...the Cougars entered the game with three interceptions on the season.
- The Cougars have scored in 280 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the nation and fourth longest all time...WSU has also scored in 258 consecutive Pacific 10 Conference games.
- Wide receiver Brandon Gibson caught two passes for 26 yards...Gibson has now caught a pass in 30 consecutive games...he entered today's game against the Beavers tied for the longest streak in the Pac 10 and tied for the 12th longest streak in the nation.
- Running back Chantz Staden returned three kickoffs for 56 yards...Staden moved into sole possession of sixth on the WSU single season kickoff return list (24)...Staden also moved into a tie for fourth on the WSU single season kickoff return yardage list (597)...Staden owns the WSU single season record for kickoff return yards by a junior...Staden broke the 38 year old record last week against UCLA.
- With 10 tackles against the Beavers, senior linebacker Greg Trent now has 281 on his career...Trent moved into a tie for 11th on the all time list (Don Hover; 1973 75, 77), passing Dean Pedigo (279; 1974 77).
- Junior defensive end Kevin Kooyman's seven tackles against the Beavers were a career high...junior defensive end Andy Mattingly's 11 tackles were a season high, and the most since his 11 against California in 2007.