In 1927, Governor Roland Hartley presented a cougar cub to the students of Washington State. This first cougar mascot was named Butch in honor of Herbert "Butch" Meeker of Spokane, who was WSU's gridiron football star at the time.
Governor Clarence D. Martin presented Butch II to the student body in 1938. Butch III and IV were twin cubs presented by Governor Arthur B. Langlie in January 1942. Governor Langlie also presented Butch V in 1955. Butch VI, the last live mascot on campus, died in the summer of 1978. Governor Albert Rosellini had presented him to Washington State University in 1964 from the Seattle Zoo.
Today, the Washington State University mascot "Butch T. Cougar" is a costumed mascot that people love and enjoy. He is a widely recognized symbol of the university. Butch cannot only be seen at athletic events but also at other functions related to the university and its constituent groups. He is a source of pride for members of the cougar family and a means of promoting the university.
Find out more about the history of Butch T. Cougar on his Facebook Timeline.