March 14, 2012
BOISE, Idaho - Washington State University captured five singles matches en route to a 5-2 victory over Boise State Wednesday morning at the Boas Tennis Complex.
Washington State (10-3) snapped a three-match skid against the Broncos (6-7) with the victory and matched its best start to a season since the 2007-08 campaign.
The Broncos jumped out first, winning two of the three doubles matches to capture the opening point. The Cougars struck first as Charlotte Koning and Olga Musilovich defeated Boise State's Kaitlyn Brown and Fiona Mok, 8-0, at No. 3. Sonia Klamczynska and Marlena Pietzuch defeated Liudmila Vasilieva and Andjela Kankaras, 8-6, at the No. 1 spot to even the match, leaving the deciding match to No. 2. There the Bronco duo of Sandy Vo and Morgan Basil rallied for a 9-8 win over Elisabeth Fournier and Elizaveta Luzina, capturing the tiebreaker 7-3.
In singles play it was all WSU. Kankaras evened the match with a 6-0, 6-0 blanking of Manuela Pietzuch at No. 4 singles followed closely by Musilovich, who defeated Brown 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6.
The Cougars extended their lead to 3-1 when Fournier defeated Klamczynska, 6-0, 7-5 at No. 2. With the win Fournier improved to 23-5 this season and extended her school record to 98 career singles victories. At No. 1 singles, Vasilieva, who earned a career-best No. 43 national ranking earlier this week, had little trouble with Marlena Pietzuch in a 6-2, 6-4 victory. Vasilieva improved to 26-2 this season, the best record by a Cougar player since beginning conference play in 1999.
At No. 5 Basil captured the Broncos lone singles win, defeating Luzina 7-5, 6-3. The Cougar freshman lost for only the sixth time this season, while collecting 20 wins. Ksenia Googe closed out the match for WSU as she posted a 7-6, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Vo.
The Cougars return to Pac-12 Conference play Friday when they host No. 26 Arizona. Match time is set for 11 a.m. at the Simmelink Tennis Courts at Hollingbery Fieldhouse.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY TENNIS
Washington State 5 def. Boise State 2
March 14, 2012
Boas Tennis Complex
1. Sonia Klamczynska/Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Liudmila Vasilieva/Andjela Kankaras (WSU), 8-6
2. Sandy Vo/Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Elisabeth Fournier/Elizaveta Luzina (WSU), 9-8 (3)
3. Charlotte Koning/Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Kaitlyn Brown/Fiona Mok (BSU), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #43 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) def. Sonia Klamczynska (BSU), 6-0, 7-5
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Sandy Vo (BSU), 7-6 (6), 6-3
4. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) def. Manuela Pietzuch (BSU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU), 7-5, 6-3
6. Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Kaitlyn Brown (BSU), 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 6, 2, 1, 5, 3