Feb. 26, 2011
STANFORD, Calif. - The Washington State University tennis team fell to No. 1 Stanford in a Pacific-10 Conference match Saturday at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The day began with singles play due to threatening skis and with five Cardinal players entering the match ranked among the nation's top 100, the Cardinal jumped out quickly. No. 21 Nicole Gibbs at No. 3 singles defeated Ksenia Googe, 6-1, 6-1, while Carolyn McVeigh also posted a straight-set win, defeating Lea Jansen 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6. At No. 2 Mallory Burdette, ranked No. 22, defeated Liudmila Vasilieva, 6-3, 6-1 prior to No. 20 Kristie Ahn defeating Andjela Kankaras 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles to clinch the match.
At No. 1 singles, Elisabeth Fournier, the only ranked Cougar at No. 125, battled No. 2 Hilary Barte in a close first set before falling, 7-5, 6-0. The final match went to a tiebreaker for the third set as the team match was already decided. At No. 5, Olga Musilovich won the first, 6-1, before No. 87 Stacey Tan captured a late break of serve to win the second set, 7-5. After fighting off six match points, Tan rallied to win the tiebreaker, 14-12.
In doubles play the Cardinal took the point as the nation's third-ranked team of Barte and Burdette defeated Vasilieva and Musilovich, 8-3 at No. 1. At No. 3, McVeigh and Jennifer Yen defeated Fournier and Jansen, 8-1 while Ahn and Gibbs completed the sweep with an 8-0 win over Googe and Kankaras at No. 2.
The Cougars are next in action March 4 when they visit No. 28 Arizona State in Tempe. Match time is set for 1:30 p.m.
WASHINGTON STATE WOMEN'S TENNIS
No. 1 Stanford 7, Washington State 0
February 26, 2011
Taube Family Tennis Stadium
1. No. 2 Hilary Barte (STAN) def. No. 125 Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) 7-5, 6-0
2. No. 22 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. No. 21 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. No. 20 Kristie Ahn (STAN) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. No. 87 Stacey Tan (STAN) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 1-6, 7-5, (14-12)
6. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Lea Jansen (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 2, 4, 1, 5
1. No. 3 Barte/Burdette (STAN) def. Musilovich/Vasilieva (WSU) 8-3
2. Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) def. Googe/Kankaras (WSU) 8-0
3. McVeigh/Yen (STAN) def. Fournier/Jansen (WSU) 8-1
Order of finish: Unavailable
Updated Records: Washington State (8-5, 0-2 Pac-10), Stanford (11-0, 2-0 Pac-10)