Feb. 25, 2011
BERKELEY, Calif. - The Washington State University tennis team fell to No. 6 California in the Pacific-10 Conference for both teams, Friday at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
With singles play starting first as the weather was cold windy and a strong chance of rain, Cal posted straight-set wins at all six positions. At No. 2 Mari Andersson defeated Liudmila Vasilieva 6-0, 6-1 before No. 51 Tayler Davis posted a 6-2, 6-0 win over Andjela Kankaras, giving Cal a 2-0 lead. Anett Schutting at No. 5 defeated Olga Musilovich 6-2, 6-3 while Alice Duranteau clinched the match for Cal at No. 6, surviving a close first set to pull out a 6-4, 6-1 win over Lea Jansen.
No. 35 Annie Goransson rode a service break in each set to a 6-4, 6-4 win over Ksenia Googe at No. 3 and the nation's No. 4-ranked player, Jana Juricova, captured at 6-2, 6-4 over No. 125 Elisabeth Fournier at the top singles position.
In doubles action, Cal closed out the match by sweeping all three positions. At No. 1 the nation's fifth-ranked team of Andersson and Juricova defeated Vasilieva and Musilovich, 8-4. Cal's No. 2 pair of Davis and Goransson finished first with an 8-1 victory over Googe and Kankaras while Marina Cossou and Schutting clinched the doubles point at No. 3 with an 8-4 win over Fournier and Jansen.,P>
The Cougars conclude their three-match swing through Northern California Saturday when they visit No. 1 Stanford Saturday. Match time is set for 11 a.m.
WASHINGTON STATE WOMEN'S TENNIS
No. 6 California 7, Washington State 0
February 25, 2011
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 5 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. Musilovich/Vasilieva (WSU) 8-4
2. Davis/Goransson (CAL) def. Googe/Kankaras (WSU) 8-1
3. Cossou/Schutting (CAL) def. Fournier/Jansen (WSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 4 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 125 Elisabeth Fournier (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 70 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. No. 35 Annie Goransson (CAL) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. No. 51 Tayler Davis (CAL) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Anett Schutting (CAL) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Alice Duranteau (CAL) def. Lea Jansen (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 6*, 3, 1
Updated Records: Washington State (8-4, 0-1 Pac-10), California (8-1, 1-0 Pac-10)