March 25, 2012
BERKELEY, Calif. - The Washington State University tennis team fell at No. 10 California Sunday, March 25 at the Hellman Tennis Center. The loss snapped the Cougars three match winning streak that included two big upsets over, at the time, No. 27 Arizona State and No. 26 Arizona. Prior to this loss, the Cougars had won nine of 11 matches to open the year.
With the loss the Cougars fall to 12-5, 2-3 in Pac-12 play while California improves to 12-4 overall, 5-0 in conference action.
California posted wins in both singles and doubles today to lead the Golden Bears to a 7-0 win over the Cougars.
Due to the threat of inclement weather conditions, the teams elected to play singles matches first. The Golden Bears swept the Cougars in all six matches. At No. 3 singles, No. 66 Anett Schutting defeated Ksenia Googe in straight-sets 6-1, 6-0 at court three and earned Cal its first point of the match.
At No. 1 singles, Liudmila Vasilieva, the nation's 43rd-ranked player, battled No. 6 Jana Juricova and fell 6-1, 6-1. This is just the fourth time this season that Vasilieva dropped a singles match. Juricova is the defending NCAA singles champion.
On court two, No. 17 Zsoft Susanyi posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Elisabeth Fournier at No. 2 singles and soon after No. 100 Annie Goransson defeated Charlotte Koning 6-1, 6-1. The Bears earned a fifth point when Andjela Kankaras took on No. 54 Tayler Davis and fell in straight-sets 6-1, 6-1.
In the only match that went to a second-set tiebreaker, Olga Musilovich fell to Alice Duranteau 6-4, 7-6 and 7-0.
In doubles play, the 38th-ranked duo of Juricova and Susanyi took an 8-0 win over Googe and Kankaras at No. 1 doubles while Koning and Musilovich fell at court three to Davis and Duranteau 8-1. Cal's 27th-ranked duo of Goransson and Schutting completed the doubles sweep with an 8-4 win over Fournier and Vasilieva at No. 2 doubles.
Up next, the Cougars return to Hollingbery Fieldhouse for a six-match homstand beginning Thursday, March 29 when they take on the Portland Pilots. The match is set to begin at 10 a.m.
No. 10 California 7, No. 38 Washington State 0
Hellman Tennis Complex
Sunday, March 25, 2012
1. No. 38 Juricova / Susanyi (CAL) def. Googe / Kankaras (WSU); 8-0
2. No. 27 Goransson / Schutting (CAL) def. Fournier / Vasilieva (WSU); 8-4
3. Davis / Duranteau (CAL) def. Koning / Musilovich (WSU); 8-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. No. 6 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 43 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU); 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 17 Zsofi Susanyi (CAL) def. Elisabeth Fournier (WSU); 6-1, 6-1
3. No. 66 Anett Schutting (CAL) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU); 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 54 Tayler Davis (CAL) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU); 6-1, 6-1
5. No. 100 Annie Goransson (CAL) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU); 6-1, 6-1
6. Alice Duranteau (CAL) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU); 6-4, 7-6(0)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 5, 4, 6