MEMBER SIGN IN
Don't have an account? Click Here
Courtesy: WSU Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
50th Anniversary of Hollingbery Fieldhouse
T
+
-
Courtesy: Washington State Athletics
Release: 10/31/2013
Send Mail Print RSS
Related Links

Saturday, Nov. 2, will mark the 50th anniversary of the Fieldhouse dedication in honor of legendary WSU football coach O.E. "Babe" Hollingbery.

A half century after the dedication, the Hollingbery Fieldhouse, which began construction in 1929, serves as a gathering place for Cougar Football fans prior to games and as the indoor home of Cougar Tennis. In 2006, renovations included a new playing surface, updated lighting, and tennis backdrops. The facility has been named The Simmelink Courts at Hollingbery Fieldhouse in honor of Cougar supporter and donor Audrey Simmelink.

Hollingbery led the Cougars on the gridiron from 1926 to 1942, compiling 93 wins in his 17-year career, still the most of any WSU head football coach.

The coach made the trip from his home in Yakima to attend ceremonies at Rogers Field dedicating the Fieldhouse in his honor. The above and below photos of the dedication ceremony are courtesy of Washington State University Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.

The Cougars made the Babe proud, defeating Idaho 14-10 in front of 18,500 fans.

Go Cougs!

Below is the article honoring Babe in the Idaho game program.

 

 

 

Washington State Cougars Athletics
advertisement