April 20, 2013
SEATTLE, Wash. - The Washington State women's tennis team closed out its 2013 dual match schedule, falling to No. 48 Washington, 5-2, Saturday afternoon at the Bill Quillian Tennis Stadium.
With the loss the Cougars fall to 14-12 overall and 2-8 in conference play. The Huskies improve to 13-9 and 4-6 in the Pac-12.
In doubles action, the Cougars struggled to get anything going. At No. 3, Ksenia Googe and Lize Leenknecht fell to the Washington pairing of Julija Lukac and Andjela Nemcevic, 8-1. Liudmila Vasilieva and Andjela Kankaras fell just short in their match at No. 2, falling to Natali Coronel and Grace Ysidora, 5-5 (7-4), playing a tiebreaker at 5-5 with the doubles point already decided.
Vasilieva and Luzina provided the two lone wins for the Cougars in their final dual match of the season. Both matches were pushed to three sets. At No. 1, Vasilieva took the first set with no troubles but didn't have enough to finish the match in the second set. Since the team match had already been awarded to the Huskies, the third set was decided by a tiebreaker. Vasilieva took the third set and match, defeating Ysidora 6-2, 6-7 (13-11), 10-5. Luzina started off rough after dropping her first set at No. 3. However, she stayed composed and took the next to sets with ease, defeating Douglas-Miron, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2.
At No. 4, Kankaras fell to Lukac 6-1, 6-1 while Googe had similar problems, falling to Nemcevic 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2. Musilovich could not hold off her opponent at No. 5, falling to Coronel 6-1, 7-5, giving Washington an insurmountable 4-0 lead. Charlotte Koning fell to Shimizu in her match at No. 6, 6-3, 6-2.
With dual match play ending, the Cougars look ahead to the Pac-12 Championships, which are scheduled for April 25-28 in Ojai, Calif.
WASHINGTON STATE WOMEN'S TENNIS
No. 48 Washington 5 def. Washington State 2
April 20, 2013 - Seattle, Wash.
Bill Quillian Tennis Stadium
1. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Grace Ysidora (UW) 6-2, 6-7 (13-11), 10-5
2. Andjela Nemcevic (UW) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) def. Elianne Douglas-Miron (UW) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Julija Lukac (UW) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Natali Coronel (UW) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Riko Shimizu (UW) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,2,5,6,3,1
1. No. 65 Douglas-Miron/Shimizu (UW) def. Vasilieva/Luzina (WSU) 8-0
2. Coronel/Ysidora (UW) def. Musilovich/Kankaras (WSU) 5-5 (7-4)
3. Lukac/Nemcevic (UW) def. Googe/Leenknecht (WSU) 8-1.
Order of finish: 3,1,2.