April 8, 2013
PROVO, Utah - Washington State came up one match short as it fell 4-3 to BYU Monday morning at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
With the loss, WSU falls to 13-11 on the season BYU improves to 8-9 overall.
The day began with doubles play. At No. 2, the WSU pairing of Andjela Kankaras fell to Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox 8-5. At No. 1, Liudmila Vasilieva and Elizaveta Luzina fell to Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran, 9-7.
Although the doubles point was already awarded to BYU, the match at No. 3 was played out. Lize Leenknecht and Ksenia Googe were able to capture a win, defeating Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran, 9-7.
In singles action, Vasilieva quickly brought the match score level with her match at No. 1 after defeating Sheehan-Dizon, 6-4, 6-1. At No. 4, Kankaras fell to N. Tran, 6-3, 6-1 before Anderson rallied for a 6-0, 3-6, 6-1 win over Luzina at No. 3, putting BYU one match from victory.
Musilovich drew WSU closer with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Maddox at No. 5 while Koning was close to winning as she was up a set and a break at No. 6 over Paul.
While that match was still playing, the battle raged on Court 2. Googe had dropped the first set before rallying to win the second. After trailing 5-3 in the third, Desiree Tran forced a third-set tiebreaker and escaped with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6) victory, clinching the win for BYU.
Koning closed out her match at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory for WSU's final point.
Washington State is next in action April 19 when it faces Seattle University in Seattle.
WASHINGTON STATE TENNIS
BYU 4 def. No. 70 Washington State 3
April 8, 2013
BYU Indoor Tennis Courts
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Luzina/Vasilieva (WSU) 9-7
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Musilovich/Kankaras (WSU) 8-5
3. Leenknecht/Googe (WSU) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(6)
3. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Charlotte Koning (WSU) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6