Nov. 15, 2008
Washington State Notes:
- The scoreless first quarter marked the second time this season the Cougars have held an opponent scoreless in the opening 15 minutes...the first occured at UCLA (Oct. 4).
- Defensive tackle Toby Turpin's first-quarter sack of Rudy Carpenter was his first this season and second of his Cougar career...freshman Louis Bland followed on the next play for his first sack as a Cougar.
- On his second reception of the game, an 11-yard catch from Kevin Lopina in the first quarter, senior Brandon Gibson moved past Jason Hill (2,704) and into the top spot on the career receiving yards list...Gibson entered the game needing 35 yards to overtake Hill.
- Brandon Gibson's three first-half receptions tied him with Hugh Campell for second place on the career receptions list with 176.
- Punter Reid Forrest's first-quarter punt of 55 yards marked the seventh time this season he has a 50-plus yard punt.
Arizona State Notes:
- Devils Deliver A Doughnut: Arizona State shut out an opponent for the first time since September 21, 1996, when they blanked the #1 Nebraska Cornhuskers. The shutout by the Devils was the first in 153 games. It was also the fourth time this season ASU has held their opponent scoreless in the first quarter.
- Throwback Helmets: In honor of Homecoming and the 50th anniversary of Sun Devil Stadium, the Sun Devils sported retro helmets. The helmets featured the decal worn from 1976 to 1979, a maroon sun with ASU spelled out in gold in the middle.
- Weber At 40: Thomas Weber booted a 21-yard field goal in the second quarter, his 40th career make at Arizona State. That's the fourth highest total in school history.
- Put It On The Board: The second quarter field goal by Thomas Weber marked the first time since September 13 against UNLV that the Sun Devils scored the game's first points.
- Rudy's Moving On Up: Rudy Carpenter's three touchdown passes now give him 80 in his career, good for third place in the all-time Pac-10 list. He passed Stanford's John Elway and Oregon State's Derek Anderson against the Cougars. He is five touchdown's shy of Andrew Walter for second place.
- Carpenter In The Books: Carpenter's 51-yard scoring strike to Kyle William's in the third quarter moved him past Washington's Cody Pickett for 8th on the all-time Pac-10 list. Rudy finished with 213 yards, giving him 10,266 for his career, 226 shy of Andrew Walter for 7th place.
- Destructive Dex: Dexter Davis added two more QB sacks against the Cougars, his eighth multi-sack game of his career and second in a row. Davis has nine sacks this season and 25.5 in his career, half a sack shy of Scott Stephen for 4th on the school's all-time list.
- Mr. INT: Mike Nixon entered the 2008 season without a single interception, but with his pick against Washington State, he now has a team leading four.
- Guy In The End Zone: Freshman Lawrence Guy scored his first collegiate touchdown against WSU, picking up a fumble and scampering 22-yards for the score. He finished the night with three tackles, including one for loss.
- More Firsts: Two more Sun Devils got their first career starts against Washington State, bringing the season total to 21. Garth Gerhart started at left guard, while Paul 'Unga started at defensive tackle.
- Williams, Williams: Kyle Williams had only two catches against Washington State, but he made them count, as both went for scores. It marks the first time in his career that Williams has scored two touchdowns in a game and it gave him four on the season.