Volleyball Travels to Notre Dame for Tourney
Courtesy: Washington State Athletics
The Washington State University volleyball team, 2-1 overall, travels to Notre Dame for the Notre Dame Golden Dome Invitational at Purcell Pavilion (9,149)... Fri., Sept. 5 , WSU takes on Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI) (1-2* playing @Valparaiso 9/3), at 9 a.m. PT and meets host Notre Dame (0-2) at 4:40 p.m. PT...Sat., Sept. 6, WSU plays Western Michigan (2-1) at 10 a.m. PT.
TUNE IN FOR COUGAR VOLLEYBALL ROAD MATCHES ON RADIO
Cougar volleyball fans can listen to all the road contests during the 2014 season LIVE in the Palouse on KQQQ-AM radio (1150 AM) and on the internet at wsucougars.com…veteran area broadcaster Steve Grubbs is the voice of Cougar volleyball for the ninth consecutive season.
COUGAR COACHING STAFF
Jen Stinson Greeny begins her fourth season as WSU’s head coach (45-55 at WSU, 4 years; 157-79 in career, 8 years) - complete Greeny bio on page 5...assistant coaches Burdette Greeny (4th year) and Shannon Hunt (2nd year)...all three coaches are former WSU student-athletes...volunteer coach Kelli Tikker...Katie Hinrichs is coordinator of operations (4th year).
GREENY ERA WSU VOLLEYBALL HIGHLIGHTS: A PROGRAM ON THE RISE
* 18-win season tied for most wins since 2002 Elite Eight team and most since
2009 NCAA Championship team.
* The WSU 2013 class of six freshmen was tabbed 14th-best nationally by
PrepVolleyball.com’s annual rankings.
* Three of the 2013 recruiting class earned Pac-12 honors including Kyra Holt,
AVCA Pacific North Region Freshman of the Year, All-Pac-12 Honorable
Mention team, and Pac-12 All-Freshman team selection; Emmy Allen
and, Hailey Bethune were named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman
honorable mention team.
* Greeny inherited a six-win team in 2010 and then produced 12 wins in 2011,
13 wins in 2012, and 18 wins in 2013.
* In her first three years, Greeny’s teams posted a 31-4 non-conference record.
* In 2013 WSU tallied four wins over teams with Top 50 RPIs.
* In 2013 defeated five teams that competed to the NCAA Tournament; three
teams advanced to the secod round and one went on to the Elite Eight.
* 3-2 win over No. 16 Arizona State (10/11) was first victory over a ranked team
for Head Coach Jen Greeny.
* 3-2 win over No. 4 USC (11/17/13), WSU was down 2-0 in sets and came back from a fifth-set 14-8 deficit to win 21-19...Cougars stopped six consecu
tive match points...first five-set loss of year for USC...first USC loss to
a team ranked outside of RPI top 15.
* In program history, WSU has two victories over opponents higher ranked
than No. 4 USC (2013): No. 1 Stanford (2002), No. 3 Stanford ( 1996).
* 3-2 win at No. 23 California (11/24/13) was first win over California for WSU
Cougars since 2002, and first at Berkeley since 2001. This victory
marked the 11th WSU win on the road versus a Top 25 opponent in
program history. This marked the first road win over a Top 25 opponent since 2002 Elite Eight team.
* In 2013 WSU played the most five-set matches among Pac-12 members,
winning four of the eight.
* WSU’s RPI improved 102 points, the second-best improvement among the
five major the five major conferences (ACC, Big 12, B1G, Pac-12
and SEC): 169 in 2010, 156 in 2011, 129 in 2012, and 67 in 2013.