COUGAR VOLLEYBALL BACK ON THE COURT IN SPRING 2014
The Cougar volleyball team members put on their competitive uniforms again this Saturday, March 8, to compete at a Spring Tournament hosted by Boise State...Washington State will play Boise State, Northwest Nazarene, College of Southern Idaho, College of Idaho, and Weber State...WSU will also host a tournament April 5 in Bohler Gym with expected teams from University of Idaho, Eastern Washington and Central Washington...Cougars will end the spring season April 12 in a tournament at Gonzaga.
COUGAR COACHING STAFF
Jen Greeny begins her fourth year as WSU’s head coach this spring (43-54 at WSU, 3 years; 155-78 in career, 7 years)...Cougar volleyball has seen tremendous improvement in Greeny’s tenure advancing from the six-win 2010 team she inherited to 12 wins in 2011, 13 wins in 2012, and 18 wins in 2013...assistant coaches Burdette Greeny (3 years) and Shannon Hunt (1 year)...volunteer coach Kali Gesser...all four coaches are former WSU student-athletes...Katie Hinrichs is coordinator of operations (3 years) and played for the Greenys at Lewis-Clark State College....pictured from left to right: Kali Gesser, Jen Greeny, Burdette Greeny, Shannon Hunt and Katie Hinrichs.
WSU VOLLEYBALL: A PROGRAM ON THE RISE AGAIN
* 18-wins in 2013 season is most since 2009 NCAA Championship team.
* WSU tallied four wins over teams with RPIs in the top 50.
* Defeated three AVCA Top 25-ranked teams.
* From 2010 to 2013 tallied 102-point RPI improvement, the second best nationally.
* Five conference wins most since 2009 and five wins were over teams that went on to play in the 2013 NCAA Championship tournament.
* 3-2 win over No. 16 Arizona State (10/11) was first victory over a ranked team for Head Coach Jen Greeny.
* 3-2 win over No. 4 USC (11/17), WSU was down 2-0 in sets and came back from a fifth-set 14-8 deficit to win 21-19...Cougars stopped six consecutive match points...first five-set loss of year for USC...first USC loss to a team ranked outside of RPI top 15.
* 3-2 win at No. 23 California (11/24) was first win over Cal for Cougars since 2003, and first at Berkeley since 2003.
* Played most five-set matches in Pac-12 in 2013 with eight winning five of nine five-set matches, most since 2008. Nine of 12 Pac-12 team played four or less five-set matches in 2013 season.
See PDF for complete release and spring roster.