The home of Cougar swimming was dedicated in honor of Douglas Gibb, who served on the WSU faculty from 1942 to 1980, as supervisor of the aquatics program and swimming coach.
Gibb Pool opened in 1970 and has been used as a teaching facility, a recreational pool and for competition. The pool was named after Gibb in 1980 when he retired.
The women's swimming team has utilized the facility since 1976. Prior to that, the men's team used the Bohler Pool while the women utilized the Smith Gym Pool.