Don't have an account? Click Here
Cougars in Australia - D.J. Shelton - Washington State University Cougars ">
Cougars Team Shop
ashington State Cougars
Buy Tickets

Cougars in Australia - D.J. Shelton

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

The Cougars were in Australia for a two-week tour which included four cities and
five games. Each day a different Coug has blogged about his day. Our 11th one
comes from junior D.J. Shelton, a 6-10 forward from Rialto, Calif.

We had 4 a.m. wakeup in Cairns Thursday (Australia time) then we had a bus ride to the airport to get on a three and a half hour flight back to Sydney. I was thinking, that's long enough and we're still in Australia. My teammates and I were so ready to get on the plane back to the states started. We got to our gate quick because security in Australia is easy, it's nowhere near as extensive as it is in the U.S. Once we were on that flight I slept from start-to-finish, but it also felt like I was on the flight for hours.

After getting off that flight we had to shuttle to the gate to the big plane to get to L.A. In my head I was thinking, finally, we're on our way back to the states, just one more flight stopping us. Also, I was thinking, how am I going to make it on this 14-hour flight?

On the flight to Sydney I had an aisle seat, but my aisle was full, so I switched to an aisle where I had no one next to me so I could stretch out and get some relaxation on the way back. First I took a nap, I tried to pace myself, I took a nice two hour nap. Then I ate the dinner they served us, I had the chicken. It was good, I liked it. Then I started to watch Forrest Gump and watched the whole thing, which was about two hours. Then I took another nap, listening to my iPod, I fell asleep by the time I woke up it was breakfast. I saw there were about five hours left so I slept the rest of the trip.

When we got to L.A., we had long lines through customs. We had to walk from one side of the airport to the other, then we had a three hour wait at the gate. For the three hours I found something to eat and charged my electronics.

The two and a half hour flight to Seattle went quick, I slept the whole way. I actually wish the flight would have been longer so I could sleep more and didn't have to wait at the gate. Once in Seattle we had a three hour layover. I had the chance to eat Qdoba, which I had been waiting for, and finally had a chance to make phone calls and use my phone.

We flew from Seattle to Spokane, which was easy. Once there we took a long bus ride from Spokane to Pullman. It didn't really matter though at that point because we were so excited to be back.

While in Australia I had a great time with my teammates, the returners and my new teammates. I got a chance to see how they are and bond with them. I had a lot of fun with everyone, including the coaches and everyone on the staff. It was also great to see another country and actually be a part of the culture for a long two weeks. I've never missed Pullman so much, it's good to be back.

Go Cougs!
D.J. Shelton

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL:

Leave a comment

  • Take a look around and purchase some Cougar Spirit today!

  • Click to learn more about The Cougar Football Project.

  • Listen to the latest chats with Athletic Department Personnel.

  • More information about all the latest podcasts.

  • Your generous support helps student-athletes on the field and in the classroom.

  • Visit here for news, information and various sport camps.

  • ZZU CRU a student organization for the die hard fan.

  • Why Washington State University? Visit here for more information.

Official Website of Washington State University Athletics | Bohler Athletic Complex | PO Box 641602 Pullman, WA 99164-1602 | 1.800.GO.COUGS
Washington State Cougars Athletics