WSU VOLLEYBALL REACHES WINNING RECORD IN 2013 SEASON
The 2013 Washington State University volleyball team achieved a winning record for the first time in four years, finishing 18-15 overall, 5-15 in Pac-12...WSU scored big wins over No. 15 Arizona State, No. 4 USC and No. 23 California...led by outstanding freshman Kyra Holt, the Cougars had five true freshmen on the court many times during the season - freshmen from the 14th-best recruiting class in the nation (PrepVolleyball.com)...Holt was named the AVCA Pacific North Region Freshman of the Year, All-Pac-12 honorable mention and Pac-12 All-Freshman first team...as further testament to the strength of the freshmen class, Emmy Allen and Hailey Bethune were selected to the Pac-12 All-Freshman honorable mention team.
COUGAR COACHING STAFF
Jen Stinson Greeny is in her third season as WSU’s head coach (43-54 at WSU, 3 years; 155-78 in career, 7 years) - complete Greeny bio on page 5...assistant coaches Burdette Greeny (3 years) and Shannon Hunt (1 year)...volunteer coach Kali Gesser...all four coaches are former WSU student-athletes...Katie Hinrichs is coordinator of operations (3 years) who played for the Greenys at Lewis-Clark State College.
WSU VOLLEYBALL: A PROGRAM ON THE RISE AGAIN
* 18-wins this season is most since 2009 NCAA Championship team.
* WSU tallied five wins over teams with RPIs in the top 50.
* Five conference wins most since 2009 and four wins were over teams that went on to play in the 2013 NCAA Championship tournament.
* 3-2 win over No. 16 Arizona State (10/11) was first victory over a ranked team for Head Coach Jen Greeny.
* 3-2 win over No. 4 USC (11/17), WSU was down 2-0 in sets and came back from a fifth-set 14-8 deficit to win 21-19...Cougars stopped six consecutive match points...first five-set loss of year for USC...first USC loss to a team ranked outside of RPI top 15.
* 3-2 win at No. 23 California (11/24) was first win over Cal for Cougars since 2003, and first at Berkeley since 2003.
* Fierce competitors winning five of nine five-set matches, most since 2008.
HOLT GARNERS EARNS REGIONAL & CONFERENCE ACCOLADES
Kyra Holt (6-1, OH, Hercules, Calif.) was named the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) 2013 Pacific North Region Freshman of the Year...was an All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention team selection as well as a Pac-12 All-Freshman team selection...led Cougars with 3.89 kills per set ave. and 4.53 points per set ave., both seventh-best in Pac-12...also had 0.28 service aces per set ave., eighth-best in Pac-12... Holt etched her name into WSU single season records with 479 kills (5th), 1,316 attack attempts total (3rd), and 557.5 season points (10th)...was selected the MVP of the Army Black Knights and Sam Houston State tournaments...was a four-time Pac-12 Freshman of the Week selection in 2013.
Complete release in the attached PDF.