Don't have an account? Click Here
Courtesy: Washington State Athletics
Men's Hoops Squad Falls To Huskies In OT
Courtesy: Washington State Athletics
Release: 02/05/2000
Print RSS
Related Links

Feb. 5, 2000

Box Score

PULLMAN, Wash. (AP and staff sources) - Deon Luton scored 26 points, including a slam dunk with 49 seconds left in overtime, as Washington overcame Washington State's second-half comeback to win 74-68.

It was the second narrow victory in a row for the Huskies (8-13, 3-6 Pac-10), who won at California last weekend 54-52 on a last-second shot.

Click on image for larger version

The Cougars (5-13, 0-9), playing on their new parquet floor at Friel Court for the first time, lost their 10th straight game, the school's longest losing streak since it dropped 18 in a row in 1990.

Washington State jumped out to a 3-point lead early in overtime before the Huskies came back to tie the game 65-65.

Thalo Green set a screen to set up Luton's dunk, which put the Huskies ahead for good, 67-65.

The Cougars' Jan-Michael Thomas had a chance to tie the game with 31 seconds left, but hit just one of two free throws.

Washington State was forced to foul in the closing seconds, in which the Huskies hit seven free throws. Eddie Miller scored on a tip-in with 3 seconds left for the Cougars' final basket.

Luton finished 8-for-16 from the field and 4-for-5 from 3-point range to lead Washington, which also got 12 points from Greg Clark. Thalo Green added nine points.

The Cougars got a career-high 23 points and eight rebounds from Eddie Miller and 19 points and a career-high 12 rebounds from Mike Bush, who fouled out with 1:41 left in overtime. It was Bush' second career double-double. Thomas finished with 10 points.

The Cougars also got a spark off the bench from Tyrone Evans who set a Friel Court record with six blocked shots, in addition to scoring seven points and grabbing seven rebounds.

Chris Crosby, who entered the game as Washington State's leading scorer (16.2 points), saw just 18 minutes of playing time after spraining an ankle in practice Friday. He was held to one point.

Washington led 36-24 at halftime and held Washington State to 27 perecnt field-goal shooting in the opening half.

The Cougars went on an 18-5 run midway through the second half and took their first lead, 54-52, with 7:41 to go.

Washington led 62-59 with 20 seconds left in regulation, but Thomas sent the game into overtime on a 3-point shot with six seconds left.

Last year, Thomas beat the Huskies in Spokane on a three-pointer with 3.3 seconds remaining.

The Cougars host Arizona State Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

Washington State Cougars Men's Basketball